Out of Office
The Out of Office feature allows you to set an automatic response to go out if you receive incoming text messages to your personal Cadence number while you are away. This article will explain how to configure and enable your out of office message, how to turn it off, and items to consider in your planning. A tutorial video is also included below.
Out of Office is a feature that can only be enabled on a user with a personal texting number; it is not available for shared inboxes.
Set Up Out of Office
There are two ways to configure and enable your out of office message:
- Click Automation in the left hand side navigation
- Click your initial (or avatar) in the upper right hand corner and then click Profile
After arriving at the setup page:
1. Click the Out of Office is ON radio button.
2. Enter your desired out of office text message in the box.
3. Click [ Save]. You will see an on-screen confirmation that out of office is enabled.
When enabled, your out of office text message will automatically be sent as a response to incoming messages. This will occur once per calendar day for each number that sends you a text; recipients will not receive your out of office message twice in a day.
The once per calendar day calculation is based on the current time in your institution's time zone.
When your out of office message is enabled, you will see a notification in the top right hand corner of Cadence to remind you. It will remain enabled until you manually turn it off (see below for details on turning off your out of office message).
Note: Out of Office is not available for shared inboxes and can only be set up on your personal user account.
Turning Off Out of Office
To turn off your out of office message, you can follow either of the above-mentioned paths (through the Automation area or your user profile). After arriving on the Out of Office page:
1. Click the Out of Office is OFF radio button.
2. Click [ Save]. The on-screen notification that your out of office message is on will disappear and the message itself will be grayed out, confirming that it has been turned off.
A video overview of Out of Office can be viewed below.
Note: New features have been released since this video was made. Some of the settings and interface shown may not completely match the current state of the platform.
- We highly recommend crafting your out of office message in a way that clearly explains that you are not currently available, when you will be able to reply to them, and (if applicable) who to contact in your absence.
- Out-of-office or vacation responders are a common feature in email clients, but not all communication mediums should be viewed the same way and have the same set of best practices. In Cadence, the Out of Office function behaves much differently than it would in an email client and is not meant to be used to set a specific recurring out-of-office schedule or specific rules.
- Remember that there is a 24-calendar hour rule in place that determines how frequently recipients will receive your out of office message. This is in place to simplify the functionality while making sure to not over-message individuals who send you a text message while your out of office message is enabled.
- Turn off your out of office message when actively engaging in a conversation with a contact or before composing a new message.
Out of Office and Other Cadence Functions
- If you are caretaking someone's account, be aware that the user you are caretaking may have their out of office message turned on. If you plan on sending texts on behalf of that user, it is best to first turn off their out of office message before responding. If a user enables their out of office message, it does not automatically prevent them from having a caretaker assigned.
- If utilizing the Send as Assigned User function, be aware of vacation/out-of-office schedules within your team to avoid a situation where you are sending messages on behalf of other users that are currently out of the office. It would be confusing for a recipient to receive a message, send a response, and immediately receive an out of office message.
- If utilizing the Auto Reply feature within a personal inbox and your Out of Office is on, any matching keywords will receive the keyword auto reply and not the out of office. Any messages received that do not match a keyword, will receive the out of office reply as normal.