Manually Add Student
Student records are imported into Cadence by a Department Admin, allowing other users to view student records and send students text messages. Imported students show up on the Students > Search page, as well as in the Compose screen. If you would like to text a student who has not yet been imported, you can do so by manually adding the student to Cadence.
This article will cover:
- Process for manually adding a record
- Setting up notifications for when students are manually added
- How to import more data points for a manually added record
Manually Add Student Record
1. Click Compose.
2. In the "To" field, type in the phone number of the student you would like to add. If the phone number is not associated with an existing student record, [Add Student] will appear after the phone number.
3. Click [Add Student] and fill in the student's first and last name.
4. Click [Add] to add the student record to Cadence. The student will now be available to receive a text message, and the student's record is noted as being "manually added."
After Manually Adding a Student Record
If your department is utilizing manually added student notifications, Cadence will send an email to the appropriate individual(s) when a student is added to Cadence. The email will indicate the name and mobile number of the student, the name of the staff member who added the student record, and the department the record was added to.
Note: Only Department Admin users can set up and manage these notifications.
Adding Custom Fields to Manually Added Records
Manually added student records should eventually be added to your school's information system. Since manually added student records only contain first name, last name, and mobile number information, the rest of the student record (including Student Id) can be added through the import process. The quickest approach to this would be to do a manual import.
Cadence will initially match mobile number from the imported record to the existing manually-added student record to ensure that the correct record is updated in the platform. Going forward, the record will just become the student's record (losing the manually-added distinction).