Manually Import Students Into Cadence
Department Admins are responsible for importing student data into the Cadence platform. Student data is department/team-specific, so the data will load into the department/team that the Department Admin is currently viewing. For Department Admins who are listed in multiple departments/teams in Cadence, this can be confirmed/changed by clicking on your avatar in the upper right hand corner to toggle departments/teams:
A simple copy and paste process will allow you to quickly and easily import student data from your information system into Cadence within the "Name of Department" > Data Management page. Up to 5,000 individual student records can be imported at a time, and the process takes just seconds to complete.
Note: Only Department Admins and Organization Owners may import student data into Cadence.
Importing student records will either update existing records or create new ones--it will never duplicate or delete records.
Required Data Fields
There are four required "Cadence fields" for every student record that is imported. The column headers must match the following:
Note: Mobile number can be any 10-digit format (e.g., 716-123-1234, (716) 123-1234, 7161231234, etc.), or be 11-digits long if the first digit is a "1."
Recommended Data Fields
There are two optional fields we recommend including when possible, and the column headers must match the following:
- This refers to whether or not the student has opted into receiving text messages; only values of "false", "true", "no", or "yes" are accepted. Values of "false" or "no" indicate that the student has opted in for text messages, while values of "true" or "yes" indicate that the student has opted out.
- If the student needs to be connected to a specific staff member, please include that staff member's Staff ID in this field.
- If there is no value in the StaffId column, the student will be searchable and able to receive text messages from any staff members in the department/team.
- If the Staff ID provided does not match an existing staff member in Cadence (under "Department Name" > Users), the row will error.
In addition to required fields, you can import up to 25 custom fields into Cadence based on what is important to your department/team. These fields must be configured under "Department Name" > Data Management > Fields before your first import. See our full article on configuring Fields.
Custom columns of data can be imported into Cadence in any order. Note that depending on how the fields have been configured under "Department Name" > Data Management > Fields, some of the columns may be required to be present in your import (although the value in the fields can be blank).
Note: If you would like to add or remove a custom field from your imports, please make that change on the Fields page before attempting an import with the new information.
Click here for a sample import file.
1. Export a comma separated values (.CSV) or tab delimited text (.txt) file from your information system with the required fields, optional fields, and any other custom fields you would like loaded into Cadence.
2. Utilize the template files under "Department Name" > Data Management > Student Import so that your file includes all of the necessary columns.
3. Highlight all of the rows and columns of data you would like to import into Cadence--including the header row--and copy them. Please do not exceed 5,000 rows at a time.
4. Navigate to "Department Name" > Data Management > Student Import and click into the Student Records text box, paste the data you copied, and click "Create." No formatting required.
5. You will receive an on-screen notification letting you know that your import is being processed.
6. You will receive an email letting you know how many successful rows you imported in your batch, as well as whether or not there were any error rows (and what caused the errors).
After you receive the notification email, student data is imported and available in Cadence immediately.